Job Description Organist/Choir Director
Part time Organist/Choir Director for South Congregational Church, East Hartford, CT. Approx. 15-20 hours per week. Individual needs to work well with Senior Pastor and staff in a friendly church environment, while directing a versatile 25 member choir.
Purpose of Position:
· Attend 2 staff meetings per month.
· Lead chancel choir in all rehearsals, services, and performances.
· Play organ for Sunday morning worship, special services, etc.
· Coordinate special musical events and programs.
· Supervise maintenance of church-owned instruments.
· Assist in worship planning as appropriate.
Three Key Result Areas:
1. Organ music for services.
2. Leadership of chancel choir
3. Assistance in worship planning
· Lead choir rehearsals.
· Play organ/piano and direct choir for additional services (Christmas Eve, Maundy Thursday, etc.)
· Plan, research, and purchase appropriate music (within budget).
· Practice organ/piano
· Plan and coordinate special music programs.
· Work closely with Christian Education Director & Volunteers (Music)
· Contact and coordinate instrumentalists for special services.
· Communicate with the Senior Pastor and the staff regarding worship service.
· Play for weddings and funerals (compensated separately)
· Communicate with Senior Pastor regarding substitutes for weddings, funerals and Sunday worship.
· Coordinate additional programs, i.e. Hand Chimes and Youth Music Ministries – desirable but not required.